The second release candidate of Arduino 1.0 is available (as of October 25, 2011):
The source code is hosted in the new-extension branch on GitHub: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/tree/new-extension
If you find bugs, please open a new issue. For general problems or discussion, use the developers mailing list.
- New file extension (.ino).
- New toolbar icons: checkmark (verify) and arrow (upload). (Nicholas Zambetti)
- New color scheme, document icon, about image (ToDo).
- Board name and serial port are shown in status line at the bottom of the editor. (from Wiring)
- URLs in the sketch code are now clickable hyperlinks ( issue 148 ) (Christian Maglie)
- Progress bar shown during compilation and upload. (from Wiring)
- Support for uploading sketches from within the IDE: hold shift while clicking upload or select "Upload Using Programmer" from the File menu. Select programmer from the Tools menu of the IDE.
- Verbose output (during compilation or uploading) now enabled from within the preferences dialog.
- Switching to non-blocking Serial writes with a transmit buffer.
- Serial.flush() now waits for transmission of outgoing data rather than discarding received incoming data.
- Reimplementation of the SoftwareSerial library to support multiple ports (NewSoftSerial by Mikal Hart).
- Removed Matrix and Sprite libraries.
- Serial.print(byte) now prints the digits of the number as characters; use write() to send as a single byte.
- write(), print(), and println() now return size_t (unsigned int) instead of void ( issue 551 ): number of bytes written.
- write(str) in Print is no longer virtual, so subclasses of Print or Stream can't (but also don't need to) override it.
- Added getWriteError(), clearWriteError(), and protected setWriteError() methods to Print; use to check for, clear, and set a write error flag.
- Removed the ability to say "client == NULL" or "client != NULL" from Ethernet library; use "if (client)" or "if (!client)" instead.
- Reimplementation of String class (Paul Stoffregen + additional modifications).
- Added support for Flash-based strings using the F("string") syntax.
- Added DHCP and DNS support to the Ethernet library (integration by Adrian McEwen).
- Renamed Ethernet Client, Server, and UDP classes to EthernetClient, EthernetServer, and EthernetUDP to allow for simultaneous use of other networking libraries.
- Modified UDP API:
- beginPacket() / endPacket() for bracketing UDP packet construction
- Inheriting from Stream, using write(), print(), and println() for UDP packet construction
- parsePacket() for parsing incoming packets (and checking if there is one)
- available(), read(), peek() for reading bytes of incoming packet
- remoteIP(), remotePort() for information about incoming packet
- Addition of IPAddress class (Adrian McEwen).
- Modified Wire library to inherit from Stream; i.e. to use read(), write(), print(), println(), etc. Bracket calls to those functions with beginTransmission() and endTransmission().
- Adding support for multiple open files and directory iteration in SD card library (Limor Fried).
- Added serialEvent() function, called automatically on reception of serial data if it exists. Also, serialEvent1(), serialEvent2(), and serialEvent3() on the Mega.
- Added find(), findUntil(), parseInt(), parseFloat(), readBytes(), readBytesUntil(), and setTimeout() to Stream ( issue 458 - Michael Margolis).
- Updated Firmata to version 2.3 (r71): analog inputs now numbered from 14 (not 16) when used as digital pins.
- Renamed WProgram.h to Arduino.h.
- Pin definitions separated from the core and stored in new variants/ sub-directory. Specified by the BOARD.build.variant preference in boards.txt.
- Added macros / constants for getting information about the properties of the board ( issue 490 and issue 495 )
- Updated avrdude to 5.11 (and switched to arduino programmer type from stk500).