I have experienced a long time while opening Microsoft Office files over the network, I investigated just a little and I discovered where was the problem.
With some security updates, Microsoft releases also the "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in" this update is related to 2003 and 2007 platforms and it is already included into the 2010 platform. It analyzes the file, searching for virus or dangerous scripts.
Sometimes it can take more than 2 minutes to do the work, I was annoyed from this so I decided to remove this add-in.
The procedure to remove "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in" is very simple:
- Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
- Select the item "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in".
- Click on the "Uninstall" button
To avoid a new installation of the "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in", you have to do another couple of steps:
- Open the windows update configuration program: Start->All Programs->Windows Update
- Select the "change settings" item
- Right click on the "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in" item and remove from the list of the updates to download.