Following this tutorial you can will also get a pseudo range extender.
With the brand new Ubuntu, it is really simple setting up a hotspot and share your internet connection using wifi.
For this tutorial I'm going to use the following material
- My acer 5630 laptop
- Ubuntu 13.10 (already installed)
- A TP-LINK TL-WN727N wifi usb dongle
- and nothing more
My laptop is connected to the internet through the wifi, and I want to share the connection with all the devices in my home. The wifi hotspot I'm using don't cover all my house, so I thought to extend the range of the wifi hotspot using a USB wifi dongle.
There are only few steps:
- Open a terminal
- Open the settings app, and then select the network item, you should see something like the following picture
- Plug the USB dongle into a usb port, the network setting should change as follows:
- Switch to the terminal, and issue the following command (just to see some info about your wifi dongle)
- Switch again to the network settings, and select the new wireless item in the left panel
- Click the Use as Hotspot button, and then click the "Turn On" button.